A Convenient Pub on the Wicklow Way
The Wicklow Way hike passes Egans bar in Parkbridge. Nevermind the other stops, because with their warm welcome, hospitality and good quality goods, Egans will give you an authentic Irish experience that you will remember for years to come!
The locations is most convenient – where the Wicklow Way is at its southernmost, as you travel between Shillelagh and the low lying valley of the Derry river which flows through Clonegal. A description of this area is available here.
The bar is a short walk from an intersection at the townsland of Aghowle. You can reach it by walking south of Aghowle (next to Moylisha), descending through picturesque winding roads before straightening out at the bottom of the valley into Parkbridge. Below is a map which shows the route towards Egans from the intersection at Aghowle. The map below shows the route that you will take:
Services on the Wicklow Way
Walkers have been calling to Parkbridge for decades, and so a number of amenities are now available to those who call in to the bar or shop. Larry and Mary have a variety of services available for walkers who need supplies. Here is a list of just some of those services for you:
- THE most friendly welcome you could imagine!
- Free WiFi and phone charging facilities on site.
- Free and excellent spring well water available.
- Toilet facilities.
- Egans house and farm is next to the bar.
- A variety of local accommodation options close by – from self-catering Air BnB to traditional B&B.
- A selection of soup, sandwiches, pizzas and other snacks that can be made available at short notice.
- Tea, coffee and drink supplies.
- A local taxi service to pick you up or drop you off on the Wicklow Way.
- Other hiking supplies*
*Please contact Egans either at info “at” egansbar.com or (05394) 29144 if there are any specific supplies that you might need and Larry and Mary will help out wherever they can. It is also recommended to contact Egans over the phone if you intend on visiting the bar early on in the day.
Check out this video blog of a Wicklow Way hike:
We hope you enjoy your trip, and look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Larry and Mary